There is jet another new pattern coming out from Wardrobe by Me. This time also a top, but this one is different; It is FREE. Yes, free. All you have to do to get your hands on this gorgeous pattern, is to sign up for a Wardrobe by Me newsletter.
The top is called Hera after a Greek goddess. Here is how Christina from WbM describes Hera herself “a sweet feminine peplum top. It´s designed with flutter sleeves and an easy elasticated waistline. The neckline is finished with facing and the lower part of the armscye is finished with binding”.
I did not choose to test this top, since I am a little ambivalent towards flutter sleeves and I have never tried on anything with a peplum. But when Christina asked us testers, if we would like to hack the Hera top, I immediately felt like doing a Hera top with an Urban Sweatpants bottom, sort of like a jumpsuit. Many testers did great hacks and there is a lot inspiration to be found on the Wardrobe by Me blog. If you would like a short sleeve instead of the flutter sleeve, there is a pattern for that in the WbM pattern support group on FB.
The Hera top is made for woven fabric and the Urban for knit. I new I could get the Hera to work in a knit and I wasn’t sure about making the Urban in a woven, so I choose to make the whole garment in a black cotton/rayon knit with lycra.
I had to make a few adjustments to make the two patterns work together;
- I lengthened both the body of the Hera and the pants to make sure they met at the waist and wouldn’t give me a wedgie. I am also tall, 5’8 and usually have to add extra length when I sew. I lengthened both with 2″, which means 4″ extra length all in all. I was pleased with the amount, as it also gave the top more of a blouse effect.
- I wanted to omit the flutter sleeve, so instead I made the shoulder wider in order to make it a bit more kimono-like. I am really pleased with this change.
- Since sewing the two together didn’t make it possible to sew in a waistband, I included a 2″ strip of the fabric to the inside seam when I sew the two together. After connection the two, I sew the extra band to the pants, which gave me a tunnel to run my string through. Before sewing the top and bottom together, I had put in eyelets to the top front of the pants.
This Hera/Urban hack is sooo comfortable and jet pretty stylish, I think. It can be dressed up or down with shoes and accessories and will get lots of wear. You know how sometimes you sew something and it looks good when you put it on and look in the mirror, but when you wear it afterwards, it dosen´t feel right or works in reality. This is not the case here. I have worn this a few times already and it feels very good. It works!
I have not sewn the Urban sweatpants before, but after doing this mix, I will definitely have to make a pair of Urban straight up. I really like the fit; roomy at the thighs and slim at the calves.
Christina has a Facebook page where you can share your WbM work, ask questions and get lots of inspiration. Worth joining for sure.
This blogpost has affiliated links.